Saturday, September 1, 2012

Have you ever seen UMI-HOTARU?

The sea-firefly is UMI-HOTARU in Japanese. Although you may know the firefly, you may have never heard the sea-firefly. The sea-firefly is one of bioluminescence species and they produce a beautiful and small light same as the firefly that live on the ground, but they live in seawater.

The dried sea-firefly, Length of body  1.5~3 mm (1/16"~1/8")

The sea-firefly can be seen at the beach in Japan with a little luck. I went to collect them last week with my children. At the fishing harbor near the beach, I set the trap into the sea to collect the sea-firefly.


The trap bottle containing the chicken

20 minutes later, I retrieved the bottle, then...We saw the beautiful blue lighted seawater in the bottle! I put the seawater on the ground, then the blue lights was being moved slowly. Also the sea-firefly on my hand was lit. It was first experience for us. We were so impressed with this scene and had a valuable experience.



The lighted sea-firefly in the bottle at home

END

No comments:

Post a Comment